Hey its been awhile and yeah, I have not gotten the inspiration to write (type) for now. Well its kind of weird to not have inspiration even after I came back from an exciting trip in the USA. I should be all fired up about my trip, but perhaps I just got too tired.
So I am home now, practically have nothing to do but clear up the house and my room as my brother is moving back in after 4 years of studying abroad. He and I have tons of clothing and my parents had to buy him a new wardrobe. This current house is too small really, but I can adapt.
I was In the states for about 4 weeks and theres so much that happened. It will be impossible to write everything down here. A book would sound great but I have no writing skills. When I was in Popular Bookstore with Soo Yin yesterday, I saw a book about a woman who cycled around the whole Peninsular Malaysia and, she has a book about her journey. I asked myself, why cant i do the same about my trip? Quite pathetic to know that I cant ever write a blog post about what happened there. Well for starters, Ill just do some highlights. :)
1. Whale watching. On the first weekend there, my mom, bro and I went to venture and conquer the Pacific Ocean by going on a boat ride to see whales. It was suppose to be about a 3 hour boat ride to the Farallones Islands or the Gulf of the Farallones Sanctuary. Quite a fancy name eh, it's a protected island that you are not allowed to set foot on the land there. It is a sanctuary of lots of aquatic wildlife and birds and whales are suppose to be spotted there.
Sadly we didnt reach there. It was a policy that if 51% of the people on the boat get sick, they would have to turn the boat around. 2 elderly people really felt unwell and that caused the boat to turn back. We were about half an hour away from the island but, we got to understand for them.
It was a very bad experience on the boat. The waves were very choppy and the weather was very cold. With the waves splashing water and the cold breeze blowing, it was such a discomfort. I threw up also because of being sea sick. I told myself that I dont care going through this shit but I would want to reach the island. Sadly we had to turn around and I said that I do not want to go through all that again..
2. Sky Diving that did not happen also. It was the monday after the whale watching that I was suppose to go sky diving. My brother went there last time because it was cheap, about $100. On the morning before going there, my brother called to cancel the trip. He did some research and it seems that the company that runs it has been sued and has many fines. My brother had a bad feeling about it because regular sky diving trips are about $250. It has been commented that the company does not maintain their aircraft and etc. Oh well..
3. Brothers graduation. It was a really hot summer at Stanford Stadium where a large parade took part inconsistently. Why inconsistent is because there was no proper arrangement of students, which wasnt a bad thing at all. Each student seem to have the freedom to do whatever they want for their graduation parade. Students made cardboard sized student cards, the palm tree entrance of Stanford University, Magic School Bus, Crayola, guys in red underwears and just about anything. Though messy, it was great to see the different ideas people had in celebrating the day they get certification by the university. Such a celebration! Of course the Deans and Presidents and admins of Stanford had their march in after the parade.
The best part of the whole ceremony was the speech of Cory Booker, a Mayor that would run into a burning building to save a person. I have no idea how to summarise his speech, but it left a message in me, his life story about him, his family and how they got through the hard times of being african americans last time and how he dealt with crime in Newark, has moved me.
4. Universal Studios. Well theres a whole post about it here, http://www.andriantam.com/2012/07/universal-studios-hollywood.html
5. Jet Ski at Lake Tahoe. We stayed at Tahoe Summit Village, a great place if you want to live in a suite. I stayed in a 2 room suite that has a kitchen, living room, dining room and even a place with a washing machine and dryer. In the lobby, my brother found a brochure that states 30% off for jet ski rides on the lake. I quickly agreed. It was my first time. We left at about 8 in the morning because the promotion only works before 9am. It was a cold morning. The lake itself is on a mountain so its cold.
We signed some papers and we were up.. me and my brother shared one jet ski. It was a yamaha something and it could fit 3 people. My brother being experienced in using jet ski manned it first and i just held behind.. He did alot of twist and turns, went on full speed and tried some stuff while i just held on behind.. It was so cold. Me and my brother took turns so when I manned it, i went on full speed. I didnt really dare to do some extreme turns like my brother does, but when he did, i flung off the jet ski, got dragged on the water for about a meter and was floating in to ice cold lake, so cold that i couldnt feel it any colder as my body was getting numb. I had a hard time to swim and to get on the boat. It was either that the lake was too big that i felt i wasnt moving when i was swimming or i just couldnt feel anything.. haha.. I gave up after half an hour because my fingers were freezing.. I could not clench my fist and control the throttle properly.. Haha. my brother just went on till the fuel got empty.
Like it? Subscribe to The BOAT or follow me on Twitter @andriantam
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/TamsUpProductions